|Network Spy is a general purpose diagnostic
tool for administrators, programmers and students of network technologies.
It can operate in different modes depending on the application. Some of
the more typical applications of this tool include:
- Packet capture and decode
- Network Statistics gathering
- Software debugging
- Intrusion Detection and activity monitoring
- Packet Capture and Decode
In this mode, Network Spy can be used to get a snapshot of data from
an ethernet network. It is capable of decoding the most widely used IP
protocols such as UCP, TCP and ICMP. It also allows you to save this data
for later analysis. The decoded packets are displayed in human readable
Network Statistics gathering
In this mode, the amount of data attributed to a certain activity can
be captured. For instance, if you want to monitor how much data is transferred
between user x and excite.com, you can specify a rule to keep a track
of amount of this data. Another example is keeping track of how much FTP
data flows on your network.
People programming network software and web applications will find this
tool extremely useful. It can be used to debug application to find errors
in code, compute bandwidth utilization and find bottlenecks.
Intrusion Detection and Activity Monitoring
Using the new rules-based filtering mechanism, one can capture packets
of interest, avoiding a huge capture of all packets on the network. A
rule specifies a pattern to match. For instance, one could specify to
capture all ICMP packets where TTL=1. This would be true when someone
is performing a traceroute. Similarly, you could specify a rule to capture
all TCP packets where destination port is 23 and the SYN flag is true
to find out how see how many telnet connections are being established.
Network Spy also includes various other tools such as DNS Lookup, Ping,
TraceRoute and Whois to aid in everyday tasks.
- No bloat software, small and fast executables.
- Easy installation (requires no reboot) and uninstall.
- Dynamically loaded drivers at runtime.
- Simple user-interface.
- View network traffic in realtime.
- Capture packets on a remote network.
Related Sniffer & Network Monitoring Software:
- Capture HTTP packets, monitor Internet web traffic, and show URL visited
by LAN users.
- Monitor password from HTTP, email (SMTP/POP3), FTP, TELNET on LAN.
- Capture network packets and provide view for full TCP conversations and
Sniffer & Monitor
- Capture MSN messenger chat and conversations on your network.